Being able to respond to music is the one thing dementia cannot destroy. Playlist for Life encourages families and caregivers to create a playlist of personally meaningful music on an iPod for people with dementia.
Training courses and guidance for care staff and families.
Nothing speaks louder than the experience of others.
If you would like to help in some way, we would love to hear from you.
Make a playlist yourself to see how music has helped form your memories.
Look at these guest playlists and others submitted to understand what Playlist for Life is about.
There is mounting evidence that if people with dementia are offered frequent access to the music in which their past experience and memories are embedded, it can
- Improve their present mood,
- Improve their awareness,
- Improve their ability to understand and think,
- Help their sense of identity and independence.
That every person with dementia has access to a unique playlist of their life, to help unlock who they are.
News At a Glance
- Sir Alex Ferguson CBE Sir Alex has submitted a personal playlist. Please visit our guest playlists. Sir Alex said “All wonderful songs that bring back great memories for me”
- APPWe’ve begun developing a Playlist for Life app with Glasgow Caledonian University to deliver a personal music intervention from diagnosis to end of life. It will be informed by robust research evidencing the impact of personal music on the wellbeing of those living with dementia. Funded by Edinburgh & Lothians Health Foundation and the Gordon and Ena Baxter Foundation.
- TRAININGOnline training for healthcare professionals and a DVD /download for families are now available.
- PALLIATIVE CAREWe’re seeking £30,000 to match-fund a PhD studentship exploring the use of personal music in dementia palliative care at Glasgow Caledonian University. Please contact email@example.com if you can help.
- NHSMore than half the Scottish health boards, a number of English hospital trusts and a growing number of care homes across the UK are working with us.
- OPERA HOLLAND PARKOpera Holland Park is collaborating with Playlist for Life in care homes across the Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, funded by a local authority grant.
Any donation, large or small, will help us to support carers, train volunteers and provide the equipment necessary to provide people with a playlist for life.